Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Charski

Crockpot Chipotle Pork Tenderloin

DH declared this "the best thing he's eaten in a while!"

Crockpot Chipotle Pork Tenderloin

1 Hormel's Mesquite marinated pork tenderloin, 1.5 to 2 pounds

1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies

2 cups Chipotle salsa (Safeway makes a good one)

1/2 cup chopped onion

Place pork in crockpot; sprinkle with onions, add canned tomatoes and chiles, and top with the chipotle salsa. Cook on Low 8 hours. Meat will be extremely tender!

The meat is 1 point per ounce. The sauce is 0 points!

Great with bulgur, whole cooked grains, or panfried polenta. (Count points accordingly for the side dish you select.)

Easy, smelled GREAT when I got home, and dee-licious.

Char

Sounds great, Char! Can't wait to try this one! We love spicy stuff!

Ya-Ya Name: "Dutchess Purrs Like a Kitten"<br />Start Date: 2/11/03<br />204/171/150

Guest JeMarie

Mmmmmmmmmm - Can almost smell it now. I'm printing and plan to buy the ingredients next time I go shopping.

About the pan-fried polenta - I've never had polenta. Once, a friend was making some while I was at her house and it smelled so bad that I couldn't imagine anyone eating it. Was that just her cooking, or does it smell bad? How do you fix it (pan-fried)???

Janice

I have this in the crockpot again today, using half a pork loin, from which I trimmed all the fat and silverskin. It's already smelling good!

Janice, I can't imagine what your friend was doing to the polenta to make it smell bad? It's just cornmeal! ;)

You can buy tubes of it premade and in different flavors, or you can make your own polenta "mush" and then pour it into a loaf pan, refrigerate til cold, then slice it and panfry it.

I just spray a nonstick skillet with butter- or olive oil-flavored Pam, the "fry" the slices til they are golden on each side. I slice it about 1/2" thick, and it doesn't take long to fry it up.

Look for the prepared tubes of it - some are in the refrigerated section (the deli section at stores around here) and some of it doesn't need refrigeration before opening. You may have to ask for help finding it at your market!

Char

Can you make this with plain pork tenderloin rather than the mesquite flavored? I have a bunch of plain tenderloin in the freezer. This sounds yummy and DH said he's a little tired of the green chile stew all the time. I could eat it every week, but apparently that's not his thing. I know he loves Chipotle, though.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Joanne, I'm sure it would be fine!

When I made it yesterday with the pork loin - I had trimmed up the meat the night before, rubbed it all over with chipotle chili powder (the recipe for the blend I use is under Miscellaneous) and put it in a bag and refrigerated it overnight to marinate. Then I put the whole thing into the crockpot and proceeded.

I'm sure the plain would be fine too, just not as saturated through the meat with the flavors. I used the mesquite one because that's what *I* had in the freezer! ;)

Char

Thanks. I have a chicken going on the rotisserie right now with your chipotle mix rubbed on. It looks and smells wonderful.

Joanne

Can anyone who has made this give me a reading on exactly how spicy it is. I would like to make this for friends coming for dinner on Monday. DH is a bit of a baby when it comes to hot foods (but loves salsa chicken in the crock) and I hate to have something that is "over the top" for company when I'm not sure about their "Hot" tolerance level.

Thanks.

C.

SW: 163<br />GW: 140 (4/23/02)<br />CW: 137.5<br />PGW: 118 (Just kidding)

I'd think it would depend on the salsa and type of tomatoes you use. I know that the HOT Rotel tomatoes with Chiles is pretty hot. And most of the Chipotle salsas I've used are either medium or hot. If you choose a mild salsa and tomatoes with mild green chiles you should be ok. I would think it would be just like the salsa chicken if he likes that.

Joanne

Couple of questions:

Do you cut up the pork tenderloin before adding it to the crock or put it in whole?

Would it be a nice touch to brown the pork before cooking or would this be a waste of time? I brown chicken breasts before making the cranberry chicken and other recipes. The finished product is much nicer.

Thanks Buddies,

C. smile.gif

SW: 163<br />GW: 140 (4/23/02)<br />CW: 137.5<br />PGW: 118 (Just kidding)

Guest DuneRaiderette

i made this, used grill creations mesquite marinade on a pork loin instead of a marinated tenderloin, safeway chipotle salsa, s&w tomatos and peppers, and it was SPICY!!! it was delish though!!! would be really good rolled into corn tortillas as tacos/burritos, as well!!!

DH and I just finished this up and it was ok. It was soupier than I care for and even though I made it spicy it was a bland spicy. :o

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

Funny you should say that PM. I just made a similar recipe (Crockpot Posole) from the new WW Slow Cooker cookbook and had the same feeling. It was spicy but bland at the same time. I don't know how else to describe it. It was lacking a texture I guess.

Joanne