Health Discovery Network
Charski

Balsamic Reduction Salad Dressing

Char's Balsamic Reduction

2 cups balsamic vinegar(I love Costco's brand)

1/3 cup sherry vinegar

1/3 cup cider or red wine vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled

1/2 teaspoon freeze-dried chives

1 shallot, minced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon Splenda

1 3 oz. envelope liquid pectin

Combine vinegars in saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer til it is reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 10 minutes or so). Add tarragon and chives, shallot and garlic. Simmer 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Allow to cool then strain into non-reactive container (I use a plastic salad dressing shaker or a glass canning jar), pressing on the herbs to remove as much of the vinegar as possible; add the Splenda, stirring well. Add liquid pectin. Refrigerate.

0 points per serving!

NOTES: Trust me when I tell you that you do NOT want to inhale the fumes from the vinegar when it's simmering! :eek: WOW! It will open your sinuses right up! Have your overhead fan going.

Different brands of balsamic taste quite different. I've tried a few now and the one from Costco has a nice, mellow flavor. They're all tasty though when reduced like this.

Liquid pectin can be found with the canning supplies. My market also has it in the produce section. Originally I made this reduction with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, but tried the pectin when I read somewhere that it would give body to a reduced or 0 fat salad dressing recipe. It does! It causes the dressing to stick to the greens better, and it also increases the volume, at 0 calories!

This stuff is SO good that I want to lick the bowl when I've eaten the salad! Our favorite is to slice up a cooked chicken breast and serve it over a bed of crisp, cold romaine that has been tossed with the balsamic reduction. Then I top it with canned artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, sliced tomatoes, sweet peppers, whatever you like on a salad, and top it off with just a sprinkle of Parmesan and a few pine nuts. DH MMMMMM's and AHHHHHHH's til he hits the bottom of the plate!

Char

Guest upsandowns

Thank you very much Char. It sounds really good and I will have to try it soon. I'm always looking for a way to better my salad dressings. I do have to admit that I miss olive oil and may when I reach maintenance use some of my points for the real deal. They say olive oil is very healthy for you. I don't know about you, but I have found OP that I use very little fat and may actually want to increase it one day. I have also read that arrowroot is a great thickening for salad dressings. It is in a recipe book that I got from the Culinary Institute of America and also the new WW Cookbook. I don't remember finding a balsamic reduction there, but I haven't really looked either.

Thanks Char!!!! I actually think I have all the ingredients here!!

Ouis

224/212/177/145

hard-corer

There is no "try," there is only "do"~ Yoda

I'm making this right now!! :D

Don't have the liquid pectin...Wonder if the dry would work?!

I'm excited!! Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Doesn't Char come up with the best recipes??? WWCarol, will you let us know if the dry pectin works in this sauce?? THANKS!

Mary<br /> VERY PROUD ARMY WIFE<br /> VERY PROUD MOTHER<br /><br />highest weight: 224<br />Start Date: April 17, 2003 <br />SW: 200<br />CW: 190<br />GW: 145 <br />Point range: 22-27

Yes, it does work!! I strained the hot vinegar and then added the dry pectic to it. I stirred it on low heat until the pectic became thicker and then put it in my salad dressing container!

I used a whole dry package (3 oz. I think) and I'm not sure that I would have to use the whole package...Next time I'll try 1/2 and see if it thickens.

Cool thing about pectin...No nutrition!! No calories, no NUTHIN'?!! :D Arrowroot, on the other hand, does have calories (just bought some).

Will assemble a salad later today and report on the success...!! wave.gif Carol

Well,...IT'S A HIT!!

Both DD and DH LOVE it!!

Torn salad greens, cucumber, carrots, celery, pepperoni and shredded sharp 2% cheese...(It's what I HAD...!LOL! tongue.gif )

It only took ONE TABLESPOON to thoroughly coat HUGE salads!! (Zero points...unbelievable).

DD wondered how it would be as a grilling glaze (with toasted sesame seeds) on a tuna steak?...AFTER all his "Mmm! Mmm! Mmm!!"s DH said, "This is so great to know it's good for you!!" Thanks, Charski~! Carol

Guest SweetChild

Hi

I stopped by the store to buy the ingredients for this and found everything except sherry vinegar. Is that something I would only find in a specialty store?

I found some in my regular grocery stores...but since I didn't have it when I made the dressing, I just added some real sherry in with some other vingar and it turned out great! Carol

Guest SweetChild

I live in the Denver area and I looked several places for sherry vinegar. All I've been able to find is Sherry Cooking Wine. I really want to try this. Has anyone in Denver found this in the stores?

I'd say, "Forever...but it won't LAST that long!" ;)

This is working out sooooo good for us. I use 1 TBS. per large salad...so it really goes a long way!

The ingredients are mainly strained vinegars, sweetener and pectin; I would think you wouldn't need to worry about them in the refrigerator.

What does everybuddy else think? Char? Carol

Thanks for another great recipe. I absolutely refuse to buy FF dressings, as they all taste awful to me, but I am anxious to try this one. Do you think regular onions or green onions would work instead of the shallots? I live in a small town, and you can't get shallots in our grocery store tongue.gif .

Thanks again!

Beth

Beth

Start WW 8/22/02 ~ 214.2

Low 12/22/03 ~ 158

Recommited: 1/4/2011 - 220

Current ~ 217 :bcb_march

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

Maya Angelou

I would think that this will last nearly forever in the fridge! Not much in it to spoil?? As Carol says, mine never LASTS long enough to find out! Last night I brushed some on boneless loin pork chops, then grilled them in the Foreman - oh yum!

As for subbing onions, I should think you could use green onions in place of both the shallots AND freeze-dried chives. I don't really think this stuff has to be cut-and-dried on the flavorings/herbs/etc., try it with things YOU like and see what it comes out like!

As for the sherry vinegar, if you can't find it, you can MAKE it - by a bottle of sherry (I wouldn't use cooking sherry, often salt and other things are added to it - just buy good old, cheap, sherry wine) and put 1/2 a cup of it into a container, and add a couple tablespoons of white or cider vinegar. Let it sit at room temp a few days. It will MAKE sherry vinegar!

Have fun and experiment and let us know of your successes (or failures) and we'll all learn TOGETHER!

Char

Guest WCFD52

Char-

How about white wine vinegar? Would that work instead of the sherry vinegar? I gave the recipe to a friend to make and she went to the store, but to no avail. I saw your post about making your own - but she already has the white wine vinegar at home. What do you think???

How are you enjoying that car!! Congratulations on the purchase - you deserve it smile.gif .

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

Guest Lina Lachapelle

Hi Char!

I just tried your dressing last night!

It took me some time to figure out the equivalent in Swedish terms... but I would not give up.

A zero-points dressing is too good to pass up on ;)

and WOW :eek: It is good!!!!

I didn't find the sherry vinegar so I used raspberry vinegar instead! It gave a divine taste!

I'm going to eat a bowl of salad everyday from now on! :D

Thank you for sharing this recipe with us!

Hi Shannon - the car is a HONEY and I think I'm gonna love her! Thanks for asking!

I'd sure try that white wine vinegar. Anybuddy who has read my recipes knows that I never leave well enough alone, and constantly tweak and substitute, by invention or due to being out of soemthing, and often I find the little differences help make the recipe better! So I'd say give it a whirl and see how it comes out. You can always make or buy sherry vinegar for the next batch and see if you like one better than the other.

And be sure to post your results too! :D

Char

Oooooooo! RASPBERRY vinegar...! YUM!! :D

I'm getting to the bottom of my first batch (since everyone's eating it!!) and I'm excited to think of how I'm going to make my 2ND batch!! wave.gif Carol

Guest textemale

Since I'm new to this type of cooking and eating, maybe I've got some stuff to learn, but I tried this recipe after reading all the positive reviews and have decided that I must have done something wrong. sobbing.gif I couldn't find the sherry vinegar so I used double the amount of the red wine vinegar. The finished recipe tasted so strong of vinegar it almost took my breath away. I did cook it down the way the recipe calls for but it was still strong. Was it because of adding 2/3 c. of the red wine vinegar??? I really want this to work because I love salads! Any thoughts?

Guest textemale

Hi Carol...

No, I didn't add any Sherry. Since I couldn't find what the recipe called for (Sherry vinegar), I just doubled the red wine vinegar. And yes, I did use balsamic vinegar, but from I have been able to read, there are many types and flavors of balsamic...perhaps my choice was a poor one. :( I did add an additional two packets of Splenda, but will consider adding a couple more if it's still a little too vinegary (is that a word??) for my taste. I just had another thought. Maybe I left it cook down too much which would make it stronger too. I wonder what would happen if I added a touch of water?? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, huh?

Thanks for your thoughts. If the above doesn't help, I'll try it again with a different brand of balsamic.

Pat

Hi Textemale~

I can't really say, since I have only made it once...but did you use the balsamic? That is such a nice MELLOW vinegar.

Did you add some real sherry since you didn't have the sherry vinegar? I did. Perhaps that could help.

Also, mine was a little too vinegar-y also tongue.gif , and I added a touch more Splenda until the sweet/sour mix was JUST to my liking! smile.gif

Perhaps you could try adding more sweetener and see if you can salvage your dressing?

To me, it tastes better the next day ANYWAY!!Carol

I happen to think "vinegar-y" is a word!! ;) tongue.gif LOL!

Yeah, I don't know...I don't think mine REALLY reduced down to 1 1/2 cups like it was supposed to. And I know Char said there are variations in the balsamics...

Maybe it's your *tastebuds*!? I'm trying to think of what you could cut it with to tame-it-down? What if you took 1 TBS. of the reduced balsamic and mixed it with 1 TBS. of LF sour cream to make a *creamier* dressing?...Or plain yogurt?

I'm gonna' rustle up Charski and see if she has any additional ideas! :D wave.gif Good Luck! Carol

Hi ladies! wave.gif

The red wine vinegar would probably be too acidic to add that much of it and then reduce it. If you can't find sherry vinegar, then I'd either make some (by adding a couple tablespoons of white or cider vinegar to a cup of sherry [NOT cooking sherry!] and let it sit for a couple days, covered, at room temp) or use more balsamic.

AND, the balsamic can make a lot of difference too, the less expensive ones are generally also a lot more acidic - seems like the more I have paid for them, the more mellow they become, which is intensified with reduction.

As far as salvaging what you have you could try adding more reduced balsamic to the mix (assuming that your balsamic isn't part of the culprit to begin with! ;) ) or as Carol suggests, "cutting" it with some FF yogurt or sour cream or mayo to make a creamy style dressing - of course you'd have to account for the points, but even a cup of FF yogurt is only 2 points.

Good luck, hope you don't end up having to chuck the whole batch! :eek:

Char

Hi buddies wave.gif

I made some more of this dressing just now. I didn't have the sherry vinegar, so I added half sherry and half balsamic vinegar (1/3 cup total) and it turned out GREAT!!!!

My family is a little upset with me because my whole house smells like vinegar, but they LOVE the dressing so I told them to live with it! LOL!! :D

Thanks again Char for such a wonderful yummy dressing!!! smile.gif thumbup.gif

Maureen

235/186.2/155

Made Goal 1/26/05:crazy:

Made Lifetime 3/9/05:headover:

Getting healthy is hard but NOT impossible!!!:)

Guest textemale

Thanks everyone for your input in attempting to "rescue" my dressing faux paux. :rolleyes: I may have added way too much vinegar after reading Maureen's post. I added 2 cups of balsamic PLUS 2/3 c. of the red wine vinegar for a total of 2 2/3 cups of vinegar which seems like a lot. It's too late to mess with it tonight, but I'm going to play with it over the weekend and see if I can salvage it, if not... I'll start over and see if I can't get it right this time! :D

Tex