Health Discovery Network
Charski

Balsamic Reduction Salad Dressing

Awright, you pectin-packin' producers of super-set reduction - try it my way...add the liquid pectin AFTER THE STUFF COOLS! :rolleyes: Adding the pectin and then continuing to cook it or adding the pectin to it while hot WILL MAKE IT GEL TOO MUCH! :D

OH! Some of you have found this out! (Not mentioning any names....)

Just made another batch this morning. DH won't let the refrigerator be devoid of this concoction - he nearly went into panic mode yesterday when he saw there was less than 1/4 cup left in the jar! It is SOOOO good on our sliced, garden-fresh-picked tomatoes - I don't put another thing on them, just slice 'em up and pour on the balsamic! Can't be beat for 0 points.

Char

Guest Selwyn

Could someone help me? I've made this recipe twice without any success. The first time it was so bitter and sour and did not thicken. So I made it a second time with better balsamic vinegar (around $6 for 17 oz.) and it wasn't any better. It also did not thicken again. crazy.gif :confused: I so want this to work as I need a great salad dressing without the points. Should I buy more expensive vinegar? Am I not reducing it enough--is that why it won't thicken. Any help would be so appreciated.

Selwyn, you definitely need to make sure it is reduced down to 1 1/2 cups or so. I keep a glass 2 cup measuring Pyrex nearby, when I think it looks close, I just pour it into the measure - if it's not there yet, back in the pan it goes!

Are you using the liquid pectin? I haven't tried it with the powdered but WWCarol says that works.

As for the balsamic, the only advice I can offer up is start with one you like the taste of to begin with - the good balsamics I've had are the ones that I can lick the spoon and think it tastes GOOD! Some of them can be VERY "****ery" and concentrating them may or may not help.

And one last thought, I find I prefer this with the balsamic, sherry vinegar, and apple cider vinegar combo. The wine vinegar seemed to make it more acidic also. You could also try adjusting the amount of Splenda you add to balance the sweet/tart to your own liking.

Char

Guest Selwyn

Thanks for the suggestions, Char. I will try to find another balsamic vinegar. I also think I didn't reduce it enough. I use the liquid pectin, cider vinegar and raspberry vinegar because I've never been able to find sherry vinegar. Thanks for your help.

Selwyn,

I do as Char suggested. I pour it into a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup to check it until it gets to 1 1/2 C. For me it takes about twice as long as the recipe says to get there. I live in Colorado at a higher altitude so I think that is why, things boil differently here.

I bet the reduction issue is your problem. Once you work this out you won't be disappointed, it is every bit as good as everbody says!

Good luck,

Carla smile.gif

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

Guest Selwyn

Hi Carla!

I live in Colorado as well---Denver. wave.gif

I will definitely make sure I am reducing it enough. Because you're probably shopping at the same grocery stores, what kind of balsamic vinegar are you using and have you found sherry vinegar anywhere?

Selwyn

Guest slave2cats

Carla, Selwyn and Cheree,

Well I feel a fool :rolleyes: I was wondering why it took so long to reduce the vinegar -- I forgot all about the altitude! Duh.

If you can't find the sherry vinegar, I've got a source here in the Springs - Par Avion. Let me know if you're coming down this way and I'll show you where it is.

Bethanne

Hi guys,

It is nice to "see" so many Colorado people!

I have been faking it without the sherry vinegar. The first time I mage it I used extra red wine vinegar and added extra splenda. it still came out good.

The most recent batch I made was with raspberry vinegar. I think someone earlier in this thread suggested that. It is really good. I got that at the Cost Plus World Market out by Southwest Plaza mall. They have a lot of "funky" things there-- they do not have sherry vinegar though. Since then I saw that Williams Sonoma has a nice selection of vinegar. I don't think they had sherry either but I might try another flavored from there next time.

On the altitude thing, I was just thinking-- shouldn't stuff boil off faster (less pressure)?? Whenever something regarding cooking doesn't go as planned I always blame the altitude-- LOL! I always have my husband make rice, mine is always off a little, his is much better. Bread from scratch is another huge problem for me-- so I got a bread machine!

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy that salad! tongue.gif

Carla

Carla

Mommy to Catie (4)

SW 188.6

CW 167.6

WW goal 165

Personal Goal 155

Guest slave2cats

I specialize in rice pilaf - you have to peel it off the bottom of the pan! tongue.gif

You could be right about the altitude, I don't know much beyond the changes I have to make when I bake :confused:

Bethanne

Guest GingerIsMyPuppy

WOW, this dressing sunds great! I will surely buy the vinegars the next time I go shopping and try this, since I eat a lot of salad.

Guest chefbosten

I grow fresh herbs, and have chives in my backyard. We got 4 inches of snow last night - does that count as freeze-dried?! LOL! :D

Char, I have looked and looked and cannot find sherry vinegar anywhere. Is there a substitute I can use? TIA!

Diana wave.gif

Lifetime Feb'03

Hi Diana!

You can MAKE it quite easily - go buy a bottle of sherry (NOT cooking sherry, just good old sherry - I can get one made by Gallo for just a few dollars) - take about a cup of it, pour it into a glass jar or other glass container (a recycled vinegar bottle works great!) and add a few tablespoons of white vinegar to it. Let it sit at least a few days, and you'll have your OWN sherry vinegar to use! It will keep fine for quite a while if stored tightly closed in a cool dark place.

Char

Guest WCFD52

Bumping up my favorite dressing for Stacey on the 30's board!! Hope you like vinegar and get your lips ready to pucker up ;) .

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

I just bought myself a small George Forman grill on sale ($14.99) and can't wait to grill some fish tonight after brushing it with this yummy sounding marinade/dressing. It's freezing here but I'm heading up to the store to find the vinegars! Many thanks!

Personal Goal Weight: 130

Made another batch today...

One of my "must-haves"!! :D Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

This sounds wonderful -- but is there any substitute for balsamic, or should I just forget about this recipe? (Balsamic vinegar is a migraine trigger for me.)

Cathy

I want to try this recipe, but I'm not a fan of sherry. I would imagine that the sherry vinegar taste like sherry. Right? Could you recommend a substitution?

Just out of curiousity, are those of you who love this recipe fans of Italian type dressing? Italian dressing is not one of my favorites, so I wonder if I would like it. What do you think?

I do like the sound of a zero point lip smacking dressing tho... :D

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

Guest WCFD52

To the top for Sue smile.gif .

Shannon bcbsalute.gif

Diane, the small amount of sherry vinegar doesn't really give this a sherry taste at all; I like it a lot, and I'm not into drinking sherry either.

You could, however, probably substitute apple cider, champagne, or white wine vinegar for it without a problem.

I just made another batch of this last weekend, after not making any for a while - I had forgotten how good it really is! :D

Char

Thanks, Char. I don't know why I'm such a timid cook. I guess, for one thing, I don't love to cook all that much and therefore I want it to be good when I do put forth the effort. (Timid cook, another word for lazy!!) LOL

I will give this a try and let you know what we think of it.

Thanks again,

Diane

237 - 1/3/6

198.8 - 12/30/08

"Live each day as if it's the BEST day of your life!"

all i can say is WOW......this is absolutely fantastic......my son in law came over and tasted some i had......within a half hour my daughter called for the brand of dressing i was using......lol......ty for a great recipe.....