Health Discovery Network
Charski

Balsamic Reduction Salad Dressing

I eat a lot of salad and use the ff. dressings, which I like just fine. However, I'm going to try this recipe and see how I make out. I like the "zero" points. ;)

Ashlee

Be the change that you want to be.

Putting the ingredients on my shopping list! This sounds wonderful thumbup.gif

Lori

start 208

current 193

goal ww 158

goal personal 148

highest 242

"Don't tell God how big the storm is, instead tell the storm how big your God is."

Guest autumnbskt

bump again!

Guest slave2cats

This really needed a bump!

Attention newbies - try this stuff out - it's divine

Wouldn't you have to count the sherry if you make your own sherry vinegar??

1/2 cup sherry = 3 pts.

1/2 cup = 8 T 1/3 cup = 5 1/3 T

3 divided by 8 = .375 (per T)

.375 * 5.3 = 1.9875

SO wouldn't 1/3 cup homemade sherry vinegar = 2 pts?

Just curious.....

Whatever your past has been, you have a spotless future.<br /><br />Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. -Madame Curie<br />@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @<br />Tigerkitty :)

Guest slave2cats

TigerKitty,

Yes, you're right. But you don't use this stuff in those kinds of quantities. There are pts in vinegars, including sherry and balsamic, but we don't count them because it works out to zero for a normal serving. If you check your program materials, vinegars are calculated at 0 pts for just that reason.

TRY THIS! It's a STAPLE at our house!

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Guest Debnicu

Well it took me a long time to find this. I am rereading all of the coments because I tried it and we did not like it. But after reading the comments and suggestions I will try it again. Hope I find a way to make it to our liking. :eek:

Debnicu~ What didn't you like about it? Taste? Texture?

It needs to be just the right balance of vinegar/Splenda so it's "pleasing" to your tastebuds, rather than too vinegary. :)

Guest Debnicu

WW-Carol,way toooooo vinegary for me. I read through the suggestions and will try it again. I hope to get it right.

Guest Selwyn

I just wanted to add that I've tried this four times and have always thought that I did something wrong because it is so vinegary I've been unable to eat it! Is there a trick to this. People have raved about this forever and I just wondered if it was me!

Like anything sweet/sour you have to have exactly the right amount of sweet/sour. If it's too vinagary, you need more "sweet"...Add more Splenda and keep tasting til it's just right! :)

:) :) Hi all. I make this in the beginning of the week. My house STUNK until the next day -- but worth it. I didnt have Sherry vinegar so I used red wine vinegar and added some sherry. I found the reductions more tart than I would have liked -- now after reading the new posts I suspect it was the red wine vinegar. Also, I used really cheap stuff.

We, my dh & dd (8 yr old) and myself, thought this was FABULOUS!!!!! I cant wait to try it with better vinegars --- the taste will be even better!

Thank you for posting this. I have used a ton of recipes from here, bu this one is the most useful because we eat salad daily and I can splerge for a bit of gorg./bleu cheese instead of wasting the pts on oil. Thank you !!!!

THIS IS A MUST TRY, what have you got to lose --- other than weight!

This is an excellent recipe.

0-points for Flexers! Can't beat that with a stick! :bcb_bigsm

And for Corebies? It just tastes great. Great to have on hand~

I may have to make this one. I love salads but I find the dressings are killers since I dislike fat free ones. This sounds really good! :bcb_smile

The greatest wealth is health. ~Virgil

Hi everybody! Long time, no see. I've been absent for a long time. Did low carb all these years and it was great, but found out that menopause kicked my hiney if I didn't REALLY watch calories, so back to some of my old recipes.

Quite honestly, I had forgotten how much we loved this one!

To those of you who find a problem with the vinegariness (is that EVEN a word) - try using a good-quality balsamic - I still love the one that Costco sells in the big square bottle.

If you are NOT a fan of vinaigrette dressings, this may not be for you though. And I think WWCarol suggested maybe trying it mixed wiht a little FF yogurt or sour cream to give it a creamy goodness if you prefer a creamy dressing over a vinaigrette.

And yes, adjust to taste - if it's too much of a vinegar taste, try increasing the Splenda.

Red wine vinegar is a very different animal from sherry vinegar, IMHO. Sherry vinegar has a mild nutty sweetness to it - red wine vinegar is an in-your-face vinegar - particularly the inexpensive ones. I love it, but I always temper it with some balsamic in my vinegar and oil dressings.

I'm gonna whip some of this up here in the next couple of days and see if it doesn't help me get back on track! I'm still under my WW goal of 150 but at 146 my pants are a bit tight - so back to some WW basics and see if I can shake it back down to the 140 area.

I still see some names I recognize here from 2003! :)