Health Discovery Network
loseit

Homemade Whipped Peanut Butter

Ok you guys--you know that Peter Pan whipped peanut butter that many of us can't get cause it is sold elsewhere? Here is a recipe I found on Dotties--I tried it, and it works well!!

Homemade Whipped Peanut Butter

26 oz jar Laura Scudders Old Fashioned peanut butter (you know the kind--just peanuts and salt--better to use this kind cause you get more peanut oomph than the kind that is diluted with fillers)

3 Tbsp nonfat dry milk (probably totally unnecessary)

3-4 T brown sugar (I used splenda)

1 1/2 C Ice Cold Water

Mix in heavy duty mixer (I used food processer--worked great)--beat until everything is incorporated--even tho it is called whipped all you really want to do is incorporate the water til smooth--Voila

The original PB was 46 T at 100cal/8 ft/1 fiber/T

this made 80 T (5 C) at 60 Cal/ 4.6ft/.5 fiber/T

You could add more water cause it still tastes like PB

This tastes great on toast--and looks to be 1 pt/T and tastes MUCH better than better n' peanutbutter to me

cheers:

bcbsalute.gif

Ouis

224/212/177/145

hard-corer

There is no "try," there is only "do"~ Yoda

Ladies: Just a note here on this PB. I made this and it turned out pretty good, but I made it according to the recipe adding the dry milk, never thinking that once you do that, you should refrigerate this PB. Well, having said that, you can probably guess what happened. Yep, it spoiled after two days of sitting on the counter! This is no one's fault but my own, I should have known, but not thinking about it I guess because it was a dry ingredient. Dry stuff doesn't spoil! So to make a long story short, if you make this be sure to refrigerate it afterwards or you'll end up like me, tossing 2 jars of PB!

JeanetteSki

One more post on this and then I'll shut up. I made this again (I don't give up easily!), and this time I left the milk out and just added the water and the Brown Sugar Twin (next time I'm leaving that out too). I found an after taste with the sugar twin, which I why I usually don't use Sugar Twin to begin with. So next time I will use either Equal or Splenda. I don't notice the brown sugar taste anyway. I also added more water this time, which turned out good. I think I may have added a little too much because it did have a water taste, but on bread or whatever, I couldn't taste it then. But all in all, I think this is a good recipe and it certainly cuts down on the points. Now I don't feel so guilty eating PB anymore. I used to miss PB because I didn't want to spend my points on it, now it becomes a little more managable in my lifestyle change. I used this to make the PB Cups posted on the desert board and ended up with twice as many as I was supposed to. I think it could be because of this PB, I don't know. At any rate, I give this a thumbup.gif

Thanks Louise!

JeanetteSki

I finally got around to the experiment I had in mind on this one today! It turned out pretty well. I may go back and add some Splenda or some DV syrup just to punch up the flavor a little - it's definitely more "bland" than regular PB, but at 1 point per tablespoon, not unacceptable!

I started out with 193grams freshly-ground PB (from the PB machine at Whole Foods) and put that into my food processor (a little less than a cup, I'd say)

To that, I added 2 tablespoons of flax seed meal and 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk - turned on the processor and slowly incorporated a cup of water into the mix.

It made a total of 2 cups of finished "whipped PB" and the numbers, for one tablespoon, are: 52.58 CA, 3.2 fat, .8 fiber, 1 point per tablespoon.

It's chillin' now but I'll try some on toast later and see how it tastes after it's had a chance to "rest" and blend the flavors!

Thanks, Louise!

char

I am very pleased with the outcome of this! I bought a jar of Smuckers Natural and used my heavy duty mixer and incorporated the sugar (was out of Splenda but will use Splenda next time!) and added water slowly, then beat it good for about a minute. Very acceptable!! Down right good if you ask me, and no more guilty feelings when I just want a spoonful of peanut butter on a banana! Thanks for this great post! ;)

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

I made this a few weeks ago, without the milk or splenda. Just the water and the Laura Scudders. I found the taste very good. I kept it in the fridge with the Peanut butter my DH likes (Adams 100% Natural). I don't eat a lot of Peanut butter, but I was thrilled in lowering the cost of points.

Today I went to have some for lunch and the jar was full of mold! I was amazed. My DH's jar was fine and I bought it several weeks before I bought the Laura Scudders. Anyway, I had to throw the whole thing out. Was it the Laura Scudders or the water. How does adding water make a products mold so fast?

Linda

Wow, Linda! Going to check my jar right now since I haven't looked at it for quite some time now. BRB...ok, I'm back. Just a little water separation and that's about it. Have no idea why yours grew mold. Hmmmmm.....

JeanetteSki

EWWWW! A PB experiment in the fridge! ;)

Linda, tap water has all kinds of little nasty organisms in it, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's where it came from. Even filtered water doesn't get all that stuff out.

You could try using distilled water though - that has been boiled, so should have killed any "critters" that were in there. Or you could boil up the water first and let it cool.

Char

I saw this thread and couldn't fight the urge to tell you about my PB experiment. I took 2 T. natural PB and combined it with 4 T. FF ricotta cheese. I just mushed in together with the back of a spoon. It made it 1 pt per Tb. The interesting thing is that it increases the protein to more than the fat content (I don't have the figures here and I am out of ricotta cheese to figure it again). I add a little spenda to it too. The taste--well, not overly PBtery but not bad. I'm interested in trying this whipped thing with it. Maybe only add an equal amount of ricotta cheese and the water. I've always had a hard time counting PB as a protein when it is so high in fat.

Tanya <br />"Be the change you want to see happen, instead of trying to change everyone else. Receive all persons as beautiful exactly where they are. Provide people with opportunities to give. Perceive problems as opportunities. Have no expectations, but rather abundant expectancy. Create your own reality consciously, rather than living as though you had no control over your life."-String of Pearls <br />OP since 7/17/01<br />LIFETIME 11/20/01<br />161/138.8/142

Guest jefrado22

As a PB lover I LOVE THIS!!! Bumping for others to see....

I guess I'm just not very adventurous when it comes to peanut butter experiments. :D Not to mention totally cheap when it comes to throwing food out. I'm just lazy and cheap enough to ask a friend to send some store bought peanut butter, maybe do a food swap. "You send me peanut butter, I'll send you 1 point english muffins."

I LOVE the Peter Pan whipped pb. bcbsalute.gif

Where can i find Laura scudders peanut butter. I never heard of it before.

Aya: born Jan. 30, 2001

Danya: born Jun. 10, 2004

Starting Date: Oct. 15, 2007

SW:185.5lbs

GW:125 lbs

weight.png

Guest justmouse

oh my gosh! i have been putting off buying a new jar of PB since we ran out, because i love the darn stuff too much. i just about wept when i read this post! i can have peanut butter again! now i can put PB back on my gorcery list!! thank you!

A peanut butter lover since my first month on WW!! Isn't that funny?! But back when I first joined WW it seemed that every mtg someone was talking about a pb concoction and how good it was! You couldn't have pb till the 5th week back then so I dreamed about it every night, and have loved it ever since!!!!!!! :D Thanks for the tips you all have shared here. I'll have to try it some time. I think rather than try a whole jar I would just try and mix a couple TBSPs up with a little water first. I don't think I would want to add the sweetener.

This is a pb sandwich idea someone had years ago in a WW mtg that I've tried and it's pretty good. Makes your pb go further and a nice change. You mix a TBSP of pb (or more if it's "whipped" ;) ) with maybe a couple TBSPs of shredded carrots and a TBSP of raisins. Spread that on your bread and it gives a nice crunch and really good, I thought.

Bonnie

dolls-1.jpg

Total loss: 52 lbs incl 10 from 2008

GW 137 August 2012

dccd6077-3966-4837-92f0-9dd1dfcaaa2b_zpsa4e9b71f.jpg

radandKarensIaskedJesusgiftani252Dv.gif

How can this be for such low points when teh peanut butter itself without adding anything to it is pts for two tbs. Can someone explain it to me please.

weight.png

It's because you're adding ZERO-point water to make MORE peanut butter!

Example: Take 1 TBS. peanut butter (2 points). Add a TBS. of water (0 points) to the peanut butter. You now have 2 TBS. of a water-added-peanut butter (2 points). ONE TBS. (or half) of this water-added-peanut butter would be ONE point.

wave.gif Carol

P.S. I hope I understood your question correctly~

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

That makes sense. Thank you.

weight.png

hi all

im new to this site in australia we have kraft pb which also comes in a light version

energy 467kj/fat7.6g could i still use the method mentioned above to whipp this as i really love pb but want to cut down the fat a bit wave.gif

I tweaked the whipped P'nut Butter today. Tastes best yet, but I'm coming up with 1.37 points per Tablespoon.

Here's what I did:

16 ounce jar Natural P'nut Butter (2260 cal, 224g fat, 28g fiber)

1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal(60 cal, 1 g fat, 14 g fiber)

1 cup water (0)

1 Tablespoon Honey (64 cal)

I ended up with 3 cups (48 Tablespoons)of whipped peanut butter and figured they come to 58 calories, 4.68 g fat, and .88 fiber. It's really good, love the tiny taste of honey and the consistancy is improved, IMHO. Just thought the points would have been lower because of the added fiber. :confused: Does anyone get different points when figured?

Red Green

~~~

~~~

-30!

Oh for Heaven's sake.. Never mind! (laughin at self here) Just realized if I had run it though the points slider it WOULD be 1!! (Tossing calculator out the window!)

:rolleyes:

Red Green

~~~

~~~

-30!

oh yeah baby, sign me up for this one! I've been keeping the PB CLOSED b/c I didn't trust myself.....

Thanks for posting!

Jackie smile.gif

NEVER GIVE UP

Proud SAHM to 3 beautiful kids :)

HW 280 SW 249.4 CW 225 - total lost 24.4 lbs

Goal - 160

Just a thought, but since some of you are saying that you only added the water, couldn't you just make it up 1TBSP at a time, as you use it.

I really don't want to make a whole jar of it, especially if it spoils faster.

Tam

TBONE<br />*** *** *** ***<br />Do what you say, say what you mean.<br /> The Fix<br />Ya Ya Name<br />Viscountess Quick Rabbit <br /> <br />GW Size 8 Petite, Loosely! <br /><br />My Personal Goal: Lose inches, exercise 3-4 days a week and be HAPPY with who I am!

Guest LAURACAT5

I purchased Smuckers Natural PB to make this recipe but was unsure whether to pour out the oil that had settled on top of the PB. I did and added a bit more water than stated. Would the points be the same or less? Thank you for the recipe. I love PB!!