Health Discovery Network
Dina W

Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping

I LOVE this recipe ... hope you enjoy it too!

Dina

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping

Recipe By : Cooking Light Annual Recipes 1998, Adapted

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Sides & Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 cup all-purpose flour

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup chopped pecans -- toasted

1/4 cup light margarine -- stick

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes -- peeled and halved

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 large egg white

5 ounces evaporated skim milk

vegetable cooking spray

For extra flavor, the streusel is stirred into the casserole plus sprinkled on top.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to form a streusel. Set aside.

3. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until very tender. Drain well; place in a large bowl, and mash. Stir in 1 cup streusel, granulated sugar, and next 3 ingredients. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray; top with remaining streusel. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Nutritional analysis per serving, per MasterCook

389.4 Calories; 5.7 g. Fat; 5 g. Fiber

7 POINTS

Adaptation: I substituted regular margarine with light margarine.

(The nutritional analysis per serving for the original recipe, per cookbook: 376 calories, 8.8 g. fat; 3.8 g. fiber or 8 points.)

M.C. formatted by Dina (mdkbweiss@erols.com) on 11/14/98.

Bump up .. I may run this thru Mastercook tonight, using that new Brown sugar/splenda blend for the brown sugar; and the splenda/sugar blend for the regular sugar (I don't always like baking with splenda only). Have to get that nutritional info off the box for it tho.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Please let us know what the new point values are once you run this through! I really love the sound of this but just can't get away with a 7 point side dish. Well, unless I make it my supper. :)

I changed the sugar to splenda ... and to figure the nutrition out correctly ... i listed it as 1/3 cup brown sugar, as the brown sugar blend has "half the calories, half the sugar, and half the carbohydrates of brown sugar."

If you make 10 servings instead of 8 - it comes out to 4.1 points. I'll make this and take a smaller helping!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Topping - Modified - 5 Points

Recipe By :Cooking Light Annual Recipes 1998, Adapted

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Casserole Potatoes

Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup packed brown sugar -- **Use 2/3 cup Brown Sugar Splenda Blend - 1/3 cup brown sugar listed here, as that is the equivalent to make the nutritional info come out correctly.

1/4 cup chopped pecans -- toasted

1/4 cup light margarine -- stick

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes -- peeled and halved

1/2 cup splenda

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 large egg white

5 ounces evaporated skim milk

vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring to form a streusel. Set aside.

Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until very tender. Drain well; place in a large bowl, and mash. Stir in 1 cup streusel, granulated sugar, and next 3 ingredients. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray; top with remaining streusel. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Description:

"For extra flavor, the streusel is stirred into the casserole plus sprinkled on top."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 267 Calories; 6g Fat (19.4% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 49g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 113mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Nutritional analysis per serving, per MasterCook

Calories 267 - Fat 6 - Fiber 4 = 5 Points

If you make 10 servings instead of 8 = Calories 213; Fat 5; Fiber 3 = 4.1 points

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A

Recipe review: WOW!

Everyone loved this. It was my FIRST time making a sweet potato dish (well, i do'nt consider it "making" the frozen Mrs. Pauls' sweet potatoes that you nuke with all that sickeningly sweet syrup! In fact, i never even at those!)

My brother in law can't eat nuts, so i omitted the pecans, which cut down on fat and calories, so i was able to have a larger size for the 4 points, after i figured it out in Master cook.

I added a splash of the Davinci Caramel syrup in here .. omg ... it was wonderful! It lended a nice flavor without being too sweet. I made it my modified way with the splenda and brown sugar splenda blend, etc.

My sister asked for the recipe! Two thumbs up!

Barb A

Bumping up!!

Barb A

I'm making this right now for a dinner tomorrow, I will type a review if I remember!! Thanks for this recipe!

Nicki HW 284.0/SW 246.6/CW 246.0/GW 184

LIFETME- 5/5/07 (lost 100 lbs)

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!

WOW this is very good! My dish was empty! The whole family loved this dish, and I had people asking for it!

Nicki HW 284.0/SW 246.6/CW 246.0/GW 184

LIFETME- 5/5/07 (lost 100 lbs)

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!

I'm so glad you liked it Nikki! I told my sister i was making it again for Thanksgiving dinner, and she was VERY excited about it and remembered it from last year!!

Barb A

We had this at Thanksgiving and I had several comments that it was the best sweet potato casserole they had ever had. My Mom informed me before dinner that she didn't like sweet potatoes, Hmmmmmm. . . . she had THREE helpings and said she loved it! Great recipe and no one knew it was calorie friendly!

I strive to be the person, my dog thinks I am.

Between Tomorrow's Dream

Yesterday's Regret

Is Today's Opportunity.

Bump it up ... My sister requested I make this ... again ... a Holiday Tradition for us!

Barb A