Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
patdugan

Low Fat Latkes

Low-Fat Latkes (Potato Pancakes)

Description

A recipe for Low-Fat Latkes (Potato Pancakes)

Ingredients

3 pounds russet potatoes (about 6 large)

1 large yellow onion

6 egg whites

1/4 cup all-purpose or potato flour

1 tsp. salt

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Canola oil spray

Low-fat sour cream or applesauce for garnish (optional)

Preparation

Place two non-stick baking sheets in the oven and turn on heat to 450 degrees.

Peel potatoes and onion. Coarsely grate potatoes and onion separately, using either a hand grater or a food processor.

Place grated potatoes in a large bowl of cold water to soak 10 minutes, then drain well in a colander. (Soaking slows down the rate at which potatoes will turn brown.) Squeeze out by hand, using double sheets of paper to remove excess water. Potatoes should be as dry as possible.

Put the potatoes and onions in a mixing bowl. Stir in egg whites, flour, salt and pepper.

Remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and spray with oil. Working carefully to avoid burns, spoon pancake mixture onto the hot sheets to make 3-inch pancakes. Bake until golden brown (about 15 to 20 minutes per side), turning once with a sharp-edged spatula. When flipping the pancakes, put them down in the areas still covered with oil.

Serve with low-fat sour cream at room temperature or warm applesauce.

Nutrition

Per latke: 45 calories, 0 g. total fat (0 g. saturated fat), 10 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. protein, less than 1 g. dietary fiber, 85 mg. sodium.

Serves

Makes about 32 3-inch latkes

Pat<br /><br />A jouney of 1000 miles begins with the first step.<br /><br /><br />SW: 335.8 (original)<br />SW: 315 (second time around)<br />CW: 288<br />WG: 135

Thanks everyone for the Latke, advise....

The thing is I'm not the one making them... but I think I'll stick to eating 2 and use my flex points .... I let mine sit on a paper napkin to soak up excess fat.... so that helps a little..

Not a great weight loss this week... only .2 but some at my meeting today came in with major weight gains, so I'll just have to stay focused and not complain about my meager loss... hope everyone has a great week.

best, essie

Edit...

My post was moved from the jewish forum, a little personal for a recipe page...but Pat thank you for sharing!

Hugs, Jilli

[ December 03, 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: JilliAgain ]

Check it out! Onestepbody.com