Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs Peterson

Auntie Millie's Low Carb/Light Buns

I just tried these and found them "Okay". I thought they were better than the Nature's Own, which I found to taste stale.

I found these to still have that stale quality, but to a less degree than the Natures own.

Do all low carb/cal Hamburger and Hotdog buns have that stale/chewy quality to them? I'm getting very discouraged by this. I would rather spend the extra point or two and get a decent tasting bun than these low carb things...

~Lisa

HW 209

SW 199

CW 178.0

GW 153.0

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

~Buddha

Guest judyo53

I know we all have different tastes, but the Lite Jewel buns taste just as fresh & soft as any other buns, IMO (1 pt. each). Or maybe I'm just used to stale things! Actually, I always keep my bread products in the freezer so they don't sit around & get stale or moldy & take out single servings. I do run into freezer burn, though. Bottom line is, I rarely get to eat most of these bread products "fresh."

I keep mine in the fridge (my cat will eat them otherwise, lol). Jewel isn't very convienent, but if I'm out that way, I will DEFINATELY try them. Thanks!

~Lisa

HW 209

SW 199

CW 178.0

GW 153.0

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

~Buddha

Guest judyo53

Lisa,

I always "yelled" at my Mom since she would keep bread in the fridge & I read how that actually causes bread products to dry out & get stale. Using the freezer keeps these things fresher. You can quickly defrost them in the microwave but you have to be careful not to overdo them. Or just set them out on a plate (I have cats, too, & a little Japanese Chin dog that thinks he's a cat, plus a Dalmation that can reach most anything on the counters)), so I'll sometimes take the bread out, put it on a plate & set the whole thing in the microwave without turning it on.

Judy,

How long does the bread last in the freezer for you?

I've found that if I leave them at room temperature they get moldy really quickly. Fridge, never moldy, but the staleness does happen. It's possible that happened with the buns, although with my regular buns, I don't have that problem.

Back to the freezer thing. There's just me and DH (not including the furry kids, lol) and DH does not like lite bread, so we usually end up wasting 1/2 of every loaf we buy. I've thought about freezing 1/2 a loaf in an attempt to waste less.

This works okay for you?

Daisy--

I have in the past. Thought the bread lasted longer in the fridge (and I may have been wrong! LOL)

~Lisa

HW 209

SW 199

CW 178.0

GW 153.0

~Buddha

Guest judyo53

Even though I have more people in my house I'm the only one that eats my low pt. bread products. My Healthly Life bread lasts a long time without getting bad, but my Jewel lite buns just don't get used up as quickly (& quickly is not the right word, even the bread takes months for me to finish) & I sometimes have to throw out the worst freezer burned buns. If you really worry about freezer burn you could wrap them in a freezer safe bag, which is what I should do. I'll think about that next time. When I buy French or Italian bread I sometimes cut the loaf in half & freeze half of it. I just wrap it in plastic bags from the grocery store & when it's thawed out it's fresh.