Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
smalltownmom

Chuck Roast Barbecue

This recipe is from the Weight Watchers Just Like Home cookbook. This tastes incredible - a drippy barbecue sandwich that you can buy from one of the many roadside cafes here in Texas. I know the points count may seem high, but it is worth it! Also, these sandwiches are huge and could easily be shared if you want to cut the points count in half.

Chuck Roast Barbecue

1 (2 1/2 pound) boned chuck roast

2 cups chopped onion

1 (12-ounce) can cola (1 1/2 cups) - not diet

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar

1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillion granules

3/4 teaspoon dry mustard

3/4 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup ketchup

1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine

6 (1 1/2 ounce) hamburger buns

24 dill pickle slices

1. Trim fat from roast. Place roast in a 4-quart electric slow cooker; top with onion. Combine cola and next 7 ingredients; stir well. Reserve 1 cup cola mixture to make sauce for sandwiches; cover and chill. Pour remaining cola mixture over roast. Cover with lid, and cook on high-heat setting for 6 hours or low-heat setting for 9 hours or until roast is very tender. Remove roast and chopped onion from cooker. Discard meat juices. Shred meat with 2 forks. Combine shredded meat and onion, toss well.

2. Combine reserved cola mixture, ketchup, and butter in saucepan. Place over medium heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over shredded meat, and toss gently. Serve on buns with pickle slices.

Yield: 6 servings

Per serving: 537 calories, 15.9 grams fat, 2.2 grams fiber

191/169.4/155<br /><br />--------------------------<br /><i>"You will only become what you are becoming right now. Though you cannot go back and make a brand new start, my friend. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new end." John C. Maxwell</i>

I honestly don't know because I wondered that myself (again!) when I posted the recipe. I have made the Diet Coke Chicken and that tasted good. I wonder if it is beef - do you need the real stuff to tenderize it????

I suppose you could try it and let us know how that turns out!

Actually, you would only save 3 points total or 1/2 point per sandwich - not enough to fool with when you are looking at a 12 point sandwich!! tongue.gif

Andi

191/169.4/155<br /><br />--------------------------<br /><i>"You will only become what you are becoming right now. Though you cannot go back and make a brand new start, my friend. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new end." John C. Maxwell</i>

I have purchased this cookbook and I believe this recipe was also in the WW slow cooker cookbook. My leader pointed out this recipe and said her husband was very skeptical about trying WW recipes but he just loved this one.

I have been meaning to try this recipe but I have not got around to it yet. I will try it soon though.

Thanks for sharing smile.gif

193/153/130