Health Discovery Network
Guest Maresidotes

I like MILD fish and need recipe and fish suggestions

Guest Maresidotes

My husband and I aren't partial to fishy fish tastes. I have tried sole and thought it was good and I think cod is supposed to be mild as well. Do you have any other very MILD fish suggestions?

Also what is a scrumptious recipe that I could smother these fishies and make them taste even less "fishy"??

I don't have a recipe but a real mild fish is talapia, it's the only type of fish my wife will eat.

ShadowHawk

Women can't live with them... Pass the BeerNuts<P>Homer Jay Simpson

I don't like "fishy" fish either, but I LOVE salmon, mahi mahi, swordfish, sea bass...any of those are delicious.

I do have a fish recipe that I love, but it's not in front of me, so hopefully I'll remember it:

in a bowl, mix:

1 egg white

2 TBSP parmesan cheese

paprika, salt and pepper to taste

You will also need 1 cup of crushed corn flakes. Dredge the fish in the mixture and then coat it with the corn flakes.

Place the fillets in a baking dish that has a little bit of melted butter in it. Bake at 350? for 40 minutes, I believe. Just be sure to make sure the fish is done.

My husband and I both love this recipe. It makes the fish nice and crunchy and the corn flakes add a nice flavor.

The coating adds 2 points, so if you use a 4oz. mahi-mahi fillet, it's 4 points for one serving.

Amy

Lifetimer since 9/12/2001

WW goal: 130

Current weight: 128

MxObm5.png

.png

Guest parham91

My DH is very picky when it comes to fish. One that he really likes is Halibut. It's not fishy at all. I buy the halibut steaks and sprinkle them with some garlic salt and put them under the broiler. I do the same thing with tuna steaks (my favorite). It's really easy and by just using a little seasoning you save a ton of points.

Chris

My husband and I love crappie and perch. They don't taste fishy at all. My husband is a fisherman. Lucky me!!!

My favorite is orange roughy. Very sweet, tender and non-fishy.

Nothing takes the place of persistence. -- Calvin Coolidge<br /><br />Robyn C. <br />*******************************<br /><br />Goal of 135 pounds: December 19, 2002

I like this recipe. Take your basic white fish and place in bottom of a steamer, lemon juice and water are in the bottom part. layer frozen broccoli and fresh mushrooms on top. Microwave for 5 minutes. Everything cooks up quite nicely. I added a cup of cream of mushroom soup to make a supper; then I put a dollop of the condensed soup on top of the steamed food. I was quite good and filling. I piled on the veggies.

I agree with Robyn, Orange Roughy is really good. I'm not big on fishy tasting fish either, but this is a really mild one.

Melissa

Melissa<br /><br />Where I was: 210<br />Where I am: 150.5<br />Where I am going: 140

I think the most important thing is that your fish is FRESH! Fresh fish shouldn't smell or taste "fishy".

My faves are: Oregon halibut and tuna. They are wonderful grilled on the charcoal barbeque! Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Follows is some information about seafood substitutions from "Quick Cooking" magazine.

MILD FLAVORED FISH:

Sea bass: grouper, sea bass and ocean perch

Cod type: cod, haddock and pollack

Flatfish: flounder, halibut, sole and turbot

Misc: orange roughy and red snapper

FULL FLAVOR FISH:

mackarel, tuna, swordfish, salmon and arctic char

SHELLFISH:

shrimp, lobster, crab and scallops

"If you only work towards losing weight when you FEEL like it, you're going to be overweight for the rest of your life." ~ Phil McGraw

Hello, I never ever would eat fish, until mt husband prepared this, I hope this is a help..

Flounder filleted

drizzle F/F Italian dressing over them,then sprinkle a little salt, alittle lemon pepper,abit of garlic powder,some dried basil,dried italian spice, and paprika, bake, and when it is almost done sprinkle with parmesan cheese, it is wonderful.. ;)

S/W 247.0<br />C/W 198.0<br />Goal 165.0<br />52.2 lbs off

I'm not a fish lover, but this recipe is delicious.

Baked Fish Au Gratin

l lb. white fish such as sole or turbot

6 slices cheddar cheese (reduced fat)

1 tsp. oregano or thyme

1/4 c chopped parsley

2 med. onions, chopped

1/4 c Wesson Oil, scant

2 T. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

1 1/2 c milk (1%)

Place alternating layers of fish and cheese in a 1 3/4 qt. casserole sprayed lightly with Pam.

Sprinkle with oregano and parsley, set aside.

Saute onions in oil until clear and tender. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir well and add milk all at once and cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour over fish and bake at 350 for 45 mins.

Serves 6 at 6 points a serving

Judy

HERE IS THE BEST FISH RECIPE!!

Whitefish fillets - very mild -you'll like. Preheat broiler. Combine 2 T FRESHLY squeezed lemon juice and 1 T olive oil. Spray a broiling pan with pam or olive oil spray. Place fish in pan, pour lemon juice and olive oil over top. Sprinkle with about 1 T Kraft fat free parmesan. (The fat free contains flour. If you can't find the fat free, use regular parmesan, and add a teaspoon of flour.) Broil till brown and bubbly. It will form a delicious crust. Fantastic.

Guest maribeth

Here is a very simple Orange Roughy recipe, from the package at the grocery store.

1 pound Orange Roughy fillets

1 tomato, sliced

1 small onion, sliced

1 green pepper, sliced ** (see NOTES)

1 T. oil ** (see NOTES)

Salt and Pepper

Place fillet on a greased baking sheet.

Arrange sliced vegetables on top.

Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper.

Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, or until fish is white and flakes easily.

This can also be microwaved – cover with wax paper and cook at 100% power for 5 minutes per pound.

NOTES:

I use red, yellow or orange bell peppers instead of green for a sweeter flavor

I use an oil pump (Misto, Pampered Chef, etc.) and mist the fish and vegetables with olive oil, significantly reducing the amount of oil (it has to be a half teaspoon or less)

I spray the baking pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray before baking

I often line the pan with foil, to make cleaning up even easier

This is probably in the 4 to 6 point range, depending on how big the onion is, how many servings and how much oil is used. Using the oil pump, it definitely does not need a whole tablespoon of oil. I'm guessing I use less than 1/2 teaspoon of oil, allowing me to use those points somewhere else during the day.

Maribeth

Guest maribeth

I was reviewing my recipe cards, and found a Baked Red Snapper card, from Winning Points Week 7 (I got it last year), and it is very similar to the Orange Roughy I already posted, but has the points figured out. The points will vary, depending on the type of fish, and how the oil is used, since I know I don't use a whole Tablespoon when I use the oil pump.

Baked Red Snapper

Makes 4 servings

6 Points per serving - 2001 point value

(** using the 2002 updated points for snapper, I think this becomes 7 Points per serving)

1 T. olive oil, divided

4 (8-oz) red snapper fillets

1 med. onion, thinly sliced into rings

2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced

1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Brush 9x13-inch pan with 1 t. olive oil.

Arrange fisht fillets in dish; brush with remaining oil.

Arrange onion over fish; top with tomatoes and bell pepper.

2. Cover dish with foil; bake until fish easily flakes with a fork, about 20 minutes.

Nutrition Information: 280 Calories, 6.4 g. fat, 1.4 g. fiber

Maribeth

I have made this recipe for my company and they loved it.

Fish Piccata

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup dry white wine

3 tbls lemon juice

2 tbls capers, drained (I love capers so I use more)

1 1/2 pounds fillets of sole

( or halibut, snapper, white fish)

1 tbls olive oil

1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated. (I don't use all this cheese)

In a small frying pan coated with cooking spray, stir-fry garlic over medium-high heat until limp, about 2 minutes. Add wine,lemon juice and capers. boil, uncovered, over high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, 3 to 4 minutes; ( I like capers so I use more)Keep sauce warm. Rub fish with oil, sprinkle with pepper and arrange in a single layer in a 12 by 17 broiler pan (I put aluminum foil over broiling pan). Broil about 3 inches from heat for 3 minutes. Turn fish over, sprinkle with cheese (Be careful when turning, as sole is very thin and can fall apart), and broil until opaque but still moist looking in center of thickest part, about 3 miunutes longer. Transfer to serving platter or individual plates and pour sauce over fish. bcbsalute.gif

Peggy

Guest PeggyJo

Tilapia is a great mild tasting, lean fish. Sam's Club sells them in the frozen section with each fillet frozen separately or buy fresh. Just thaw briefly as directed. Heat a non-stick skillet over med. heat 3-4 min. while preparing the fillets. Rub a small amount of olive oil on the fish and season. (I use a spicy seasoning for fish) Increase the heat to med. high. Sear the fish 3-4 min. on one side, turn and sear 3-4 min. more. (It cooks quickly because the fillets are thin.) The package says 2 fillets (about 4 oz.) have only 93 calories.

That Fish Picatta sounds delicious! Do you know the points per serving? (OK, I can figure it out -- I'm just lazy.)

My choice for mild white fish (I usually use tilapia or orange roughy):

Melt one t butter in a microwave safe pan. Mix in 1T lemon juice. Lay fish on top and season with salt (or substitute) pepper and paprika. Cover (saran will do) and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Turn the fish, season other side, and cook for 3-4 minutes more. (Don't forget to put the cover back on)

Easy, quick, and good. I calculated 4 pts/serving

barb<br /><br />Believe in miracles, but don't depend on them

The way I figured Fish Picatta came out to 6 pts/serving (5 servings). I reduced the cheese to 1/4 cup.

Ellen

SW: 205.4/CW:200.4/GW: 140

I heard that if you get a fish that smells a little fishy it usually will taste that way and to get it out, you should soak the fish in milk overnite in the fridge and it takes some of that out..It works pretty good. Good Luck tongue.gif

:walking: Away the Pounds....

Guest littlemissruckus

A great seasoning if you just want plain broiled fish is lawreys seasoning salt. That's all i put on it and i dont want to eat it any other way. I usually eat catfish or cod. I'm not into fishy smells or tastes.

I like tillapia, too...Tootsweet: I MUST try your recipe for "fried" fish...sounds like just the ticket LOL! I've been making myself eat baked fish (and it's not my favorite - would much rather have lobster, shrimp, scallops...); the only way I can do that is to sandwich it up with wheat bread and lf mayo LOL! But now that "fried" recipe...hmmm...sounds yummy! Thanks!

Deb

Debbie

HW: 200

SW: 154 (8/20/05)

CW: 148.2

WWGW: 133

PGW: 125

5'5"

Guest HappyBunny

I like to make tillapia like this:

Slice an onion and a bell bepper into rings, and place on the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Lay tillapia fillets on top of the rings, and top with salsa, or a pineapple type salsa, and cover and bake like at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Great with rice or couscous. Very easy!!!

Judy, you posted your fish recipe (Baked Fish Au Gratin) in 2001 so I don't know if you're still here on the boards or not, but I cooked it last night and it was delicious.

The recipe called for 2 onions, but I used 1 onion and 1 zucchini, for another green veggie (well, fruit), and used Dover sole. No milk at home, so used Land O' Lakes Fat Free Half and Half. It's a keeper. I'll be making this again.

Tish

Onward and Downward