Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
MakeupCC

Squid?

Is it the small thin steaks, the larger oval thick steaks, rings??

Let me know what you got and I'll see what I can do to help you out! ;)

Char

Hi Char! Thanks for your reply. I just have them whole right now and I'm looking for ideas...should I stuff them? Should I cut them into rings? We always have them cut into rings (calamari), but I'm thinking I want to do something different.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks again!

CC

Ah, whole squid. Well, I pull out the quill and the "guts" and I discard the tentacles (because DH won't eat 'em) and then I stuff them with a mixture of shrimp, sauteed chopped onions and mushrooms, and a little bread crumbs and an eggwhite. Then spray them with olive oil flavored Pam and bake til tender. They're very low point that way and pretty dang tasty!

I also will clean them as above, split one side to make a "squid steak", tenderize them (I have this neat device that has a single line of very sharp little blades, it's spring-loaded and works great, but you could also use a meat tenderizing mallet) and dip them into beaten eggwhite, then seasoned dry bread crumbs, and pan saute in the olive oil flavored Pam just til lightly browned. Too much cooking and they're like little sheets of rubber!

The big thick steaks, should you ever get any, are great also dipped into the beaten egg white and breaded, then put onto the George Foreman grill for 3-4 minutes. Those are my favorite. I buy them frozen at Trader Joe's.

HTH!

Char

Guest slave2cats

I love you guys, but in the argot of my youth:

guh-ROSS!

Heck, why stop at throwing away the quill and the guts? Pitch the whole nasty mess and have some nice chicken instead!

;)

Guest raidermom

A few people I know grimmaced at the thought of calamari when I took them to my favorite Italian restaurant, so I forced them to sample some off of my plate. They were quite surprised and loved it. But the funny thing is, the way most people like it (fried) I can't stand....I like mine sauteed in a white wine/lemon sauce, it's delicious!

LOL Slave2cats! It really is good, at least it was pre ww when I would get fried calamari rings! Have never tried to do them myself, but hey, I just might!

Kim

Restart 02/25/2012 at 268